To book your place on any of the courses listed below please email email@example.com with:
Your name, the course you wish to book, your governing role (i.e. chair, link governor etc.) and your school.
The sessions will be led by Fiona Stagg, National Leader of Governance; more details of her work can be found at http://www.sbwgovernance.co.uk/
There will be no charge for Societas Governors.
1) Holding school leaders to account: Tuesday 20th April 2021 from 4.45-5.30
This inaugural ‘Short’ course will be led by Fiona Stagg, National Leader of Governance. Many of you will know Fiona who has a national profile; more details of her work can be found at http://www.sbwgovernance.co.uk/
- Focussing on defining holding to account, what it means and where to find it
- Reports – triangulating evidence, link governors – not relying solely on Head Teacher or trust reports
- Second core function of governance – what does this mean in practice?
- Seeking assurance – where from and how?
2) Role of the Chair: Thursday 29th April 2021 5.00 pm – 6.30 pm
This course is in two parts:
Session 1 90 minutes
- the role of the chair
- chairing skills
- effective team building/ relationships
- succession planning
- communication and
- introduction to leadership theory
Session 2 60 minutes Thursday 16th September 5.00 pm
This session will take place in the autumn term and will be a reflective discussion based on the ‘what went well and even better if’ experiences of the summer term, preparing for changes in the autumn term; election planning, and mentoring.
Sessions can be booked separately.
3) Effective governance in a Multi Academy Trust Thursday 6th May 4.00 pm – 6.00 pm
This session is aimed at both new and established governors who may wish to refresh their thinking and take the opportunity to reflect on their knowledge and understanding of Societas. It will consist of part induction/ part discussion and will include:
- An overview of the national context
- Role and purpose of a MAT
- Structures, roles and responsibilities within the scheme of delegation
- An understanding of the Academies Financial Handbook
- An understanding of the DfE Governance Handbook
- Current trust guidance
4) Conflicts of Interests: Date: Tuesday 11th May at 4.45-5.30
The session will look at:
- definitions of what constitutes a conflict of interest,
- how and when conflicts of interest should be declared and reported,
- how to manage and mitigate a conflict and
- a review of key principles and suggested questions.
5) The role of the Head Teachers Report Date: Tuesday 25th May 2021 4.45 pm -5.30 pm
This session will:
- look at the purpose and role of the Headteacher’s Report,
- discuss how to read the report to support effective governance,
- consider workload and wellbeing issues and
- reflect on how to manage actions arising from the discussion.
6) The Link Governor role within the Societas Trust Thursday 17th June 2021 5.00 pm – 6.30 pm plus time for Q and A
- how to carry out a purposeful visit within a Societas setting
- strategic/operational boundaries,
- the role of independent research and governor CPD,
- any national expectations of link governor roles;
- how link governors can contribute to the overall effectiveness of the governing board and
- how link roles can both support and challenge.
We discuss some suggested templates for reporting and offer some suggestions for new ways of working.